Hi World ...

The idea of this blog is basically to get word of my work 'out there' ... so to speak.

I will, over time, compile a body of some of my favorite works here along with the stories behind them, the various sources of inspiration, and will share some of my crazy carving adventures along the way.
I am available for commisions small or large, private or public and I like to think that 'Anything Is Possible' ... just drop me a line at angiechainsawchick@yahoo.com.au or if in Australia you can call me on 0423 068 407 ...

I hope you enjoy this peek into my world ... and if you like it ... please feel free to 'spread the word' !!
...
Oh yeah ... and if you are so inclined, click on the 'Older Posts' tag at the bottom right at the end of this feed to see more groovy 'Angie' stuff !
Enjoy ...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Carving with ‘Masters’ …


‘Masters of the Chainsaw’ is a company that has been promoting chainsaw carving, and carvers, for over 30 years.
Brian Ruth, unarguably one of the leading chainsaw carvers in the world today, handed the reign of ‘Masters’ over to his beautiful wife Jen when they married and between them they run an organization that employs some of the world BEST carvers ... performing, competing, and creating unique commissions across the globe.

Brian specializes in ‘chainsaw only’ purist work and is an absolute master of the tool. His involvement with the Toei Chainsaw School in Japan has seen this art practice flourish in that country.
In addition ‘Masters’ (and ‘Chix’) events are all 'chainsaw only' and are reasonably quick carves with up to 5 hours usually committed to a main piece, which keeps the adrenalin up and the challenge high.

In 2006 I was honored to be one of the founding members of the ‘Chainsaw Chix’ … an international team of awesomely talented female carvers that get together at every opportunity to carve under the ‘Masters/Chix’ banner.
All very exciting really.

Here are some pictures of a few of the events I have carved with 'Masters of the Chainsaw' ...





below ... Brian quick carves a boar in Japan





















Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, USA ... 2006

This was a crazy fun weekend with 5 star accommodation and never ending adventure and high drama including a big electrical storm and my first ever 'demolition derby' (I wanna be a derby driver when I grow up).









... won 1st for a one hour 'fish' quick carve ...






... & won 1st place for my 4.5 hour frog masterpiece ...

(& on my birthday I might add ... fun fun fun)














... the aftermath ...








Stanton, Vrginia, USA ... County Fair ... 2010


This was my first visit to Virginia and what a GREAT place.


Thanks to Beth and Tom and John and all the people that helped make this a really fun event.






... Lisaw & I meet the County Fair Queens ...




I stole 2nd place with my main carve ... hot on the heels of my new buddy Marty Long (great carver and super funny guy) who carved the two giraffes (all out of one log I might add) ... clever boy !!



































... after a touch of paint ...






Japan ... 2006




My trip to Japan was one of the most incredible carving adventures of all time. The hospitality was was amazing with everyone being warm and generous. The japanese culture is completely different to my own of course and so everything was new and exciting.

As for carving events. I had never seen anything like it.

To say these guys (& gals) are neat is an understatement.


There were 70 carvers participating in all (including 15 internationals) and under every carver was a blue tarp. The logs were all measured and debarked with no sign of the bark anywhere. Within 30 minutes of us finishing carving the sawdust was bagged and gone. These guys were amazing. Thankyou all so much ... and especially Jen & 'Masters' ... for such a wonderful life experience. I endeavour to return someday.












Niagara Falls ... 2005






Carving at Niagara was my first gig with 'Masters', and having had the opprtunity to carve there was an incredible experience in it's self.
























... a couple of promo quick carves for TV ...










... & after a whirlwind 4 1/2 hours carving I'm finished with a 'Cool Cat' (my good buddy Big Steve Backus carved the Saxxy Bear) ...






... and after a touch of paint post event ...








1 comment: